Tuesday 24 July 2012

Patience. The Frustrating Virtue


"Patience is the willingness to surrender your private agenda and proceed on God's timetable at the exact place he ordained you"
 ~Calvin Miller~







    Having patience is something that I have struggled with for all of my life. I know that it is a huge struggle for most people and it is very frustrating. I learnt early that God doesn't just give us patience when we ask or pray for it. He grants us the opportunities in life to develop it. I am sure we all wish it were easier than that!


It is very evident in my life that God has put things in my life to help me with the patience deal. I asked. I received:


1. It took me a very long time to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I didn't even know when I finished high school what I wanted to do. It took me 4 years after I graduated to figure out that I was being led to go back to school. Great. I hated school. So guess what?I go back to school, to work in a school. ??? .


And now...I work with 35 kids. Age ranges: 6-12. A prime place to cultivate patience. Thanks. Don't get me wrong. I love my job more than anything!! It is one of the biggest blessings of my life! 


2. Another deal that is going on my life right now is a little personal, but whatever. My younger sister getting married before me. There are no rules against that, but it was very weird. Again, don't get me wrong, I am so happy for her and she is truly blessed, but it was hard. 


Which leads me to my point


To this day, I don't know what God wants from me in this area. It is at times the most difficult. 
I am not basing my life and worth on being single or married, but it is definitely a struggle in having patience and understanding of God's timetable. 


Anyway, 
This devotion that I am doing: Patience, By Calvin Miller...is definitely worth a read if you are in need of some great words to guide you in your day to day struggle in cultivating patience in your life. It is definitely helping me!




"To do anything great is a matter of waking each morning and learning to bless the timetable of God. Patience is that inner peace that comes from agreeing that God, who has all the time in the world, cannot be hurried. Working on God's good time and enjoying God while your labour are the keys to patience" ~Miller




Much and love and blessing,
C




Miller, Calvin. (2008). Patience:Cultivating Spirit-given character//a six-week study. Thomas Nelson Inc. Nashville, TN.



No comments:

Post a Comment